Lossless Video Codecs Comparison ‘2007
- Project head: Dr. Dmitriy Vatolin
- Testing, analysis: Iwan Seleznev
- Verification: Dr. Maxim Smirnov
- CamStudio GZIP
- MSU Lab
The main goal of the performed comparison is getting answers on the following questions regarding lossless video codecs:
- What codec or codecs are best for video capture and video editing applications?
- What codec or codecs achieve the best compression ratio?
- What advantages multithreading gives to modern codecs supporting it?
Only absolutely lossless codecs were examined in this comparison. Only progressive test video sequences were used.
- In Video Capture and Video Editing Area the overall clear winner is Lagarith.
- In Maximum Compression area the overall winner is YULS.
- The most balanced and flexible codec is FFV1: relatively good speed and high compression for various presets.
The comparison paper is 130 pages long and contains a lot of graphs to facilitate analysis like this one:
- Codecs Comparison & Optimization
- Video Filters
Semiautomatic Visual-Attention Modeling